Saturday 8 September 2012

Summer at home on the Isles

Every summer I head back home to see all the lovely people that I miss when I’m not there!

Also one of the main things I do when I’m at home, is earn money! Obviously this is an important part of the summer, because money is needed for my “luxury” lifestyle in Edinburgh hehe

This year June was a very good month in the Faroes (weather wise), and I got sunburnt more than once – which even though it was painful, was a great feeling!

One of the highlights of the summer was indeed to see gumma’s little princess! The daughter of my best friend that I’m the godmother of. She is the cutest and sweetest little girl of them all and if ever I meet a sweeter girl it’ll be my own!

Also I’ve been in a crazy knitting mood these last few months and being at home where we have all this lovely lovely yarn only made it “worse”. Well, let me put it like this… I was home for just under 12 weeks and this is the stuff that I knitted:
  • Jumper for my boyfriend
  • Jumper for myself
  • Jumper and hat for the little princess
  • Bolero for myself
  • Slippers for my dad
  • 2 hats
  • Aaaand started crocheting a blanket for a friend’s baby
Indeed I've done a few more things since I got back to Edinburgh, and still my hands are not tired :)

Another nice thing that happens at home over the summer, is all the festivals! This year one of the festivals was in my town and it was very nice getting together with everyone! Also at the National Festival in the capital, I enjoyed spending time with relatives; eating, eating, eating and wasting all my money on all the different tombolas.. Oh well, fun isn't always for free, and I did even win a doll that I gave to gumma's little princess!

I think that I'm kinda growing out of the whole festival thing though... Don't get me wrong, it's good fun, but when I was younger I used to stay out until 6am and this year I was home around midnight.. Oh youth,, Where have you gone?!

Another major thing I did was baking cakes! And I don't just mean three or four cakes, but I made 33! Just over half were for my dad, so he always has cakes in the freezer in case he wants something nice with his tea. The rest went to the lovely little island of Nólsoy, where I've got an uncle and two cousins. They were mainly for the festival that's out there, but 15 cakes is quite a lot for only one weekend right? hehe.. I just make plenty of cakes for them, so, like with my dad, they have something nice with a cup of tea for the rest of the year ;)

The summer at home was indeed lovely and I always look forward to it! Next year I'm hoping that it'll be even better than this past one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment